2013 so far has been a challenging year for online marketing. Rising advertising costs in popular channels and shifting search engine algorithms have hurt many online marketers. But with new challenges comes new solutions. Online marketers, such as those at www.orangesoda.com are using different strategies to grow their business. Here are the 10 rising trends this year.
1. Alternative Advertising Channels – Everybody knows just how great PPC advertising is but not everyone has the budget to compete against advertiser with deep pockets. That’s why online marketers are exploring other advertising channels and models from pay per view, banner advertising, cost per lead, to lesser known advertising networks.
2. Retargeting – Retargeting gives marketers another chance to bring back visitors that have visited their site. It displays your ad across the web to remind visitors to come back. According to many online marketers, it is one of the most profitable advertising strategies that they are using.
3. Focusing on Authority – More websites are growing with the goal of becoming an authority in their marketplace and industry. They are focusing on creating a brand by becoming the go-to experts. This is being backed up by effective engagement strategies and quality authoritative content.
4. Mobile Marketing – The past two years have been filled with naysayers stating how mobile marketing was just a trend that was going to result in a simple blip in the radar. Fortunately, they were wrong. More people today are using mobile devices to surf the Internet and as a result, more businesses are finding success by building marketing strategies targeted to these mobile users.
5. Responsive Design – Web developers and designers have created a new design strategy that makes the website change to the mobile device being used rather than requiring the user to use a mobile website. Marketers are embracing this design methodology because they it means that they don’t have to invest in a separate mobile site and market it.
6. Local Marketing – Previously, only a small percentage of local businesses took advantage of local online marketing. Now, local marketing is mainstream and it seems that almost every local business is either marketing online or has some kind of online presence.
7. Inbound Marketing – Rather than pushing their marketing to the outside, more companies are attracting traffic from the inside. Inbound marketing focuses on marketing through the use of content, community, interaction and customer experience. The strategy is so cost effective that 48% of online marketers are planning to increase their budget for in in the coming year.
8. Content Marketing – Although it’s part of inbound marketing content marketing as a stand alone strategy is solely about promoting content. The goal of content marketing differs from business to business. Most businesses that talk about content marketing approach it with the goal of generating links to advance their SEO campaign.
9. Social Media – Social media has grown up and more businesses are embracing it as a real marketing strategy. There are a lot more case studies and strategies to learn from than there was ever before. There are also analytic tools (finally!) that help marketers figure out what’s working and what’s not. Marketers are also approaching social media holistically, integrating it into every aspect of their marketing.
10. Video Marketing – While video has been prevalent for many years, it still had to prove itself as a viable marketing channel. Businesses are now advertising on YouTube, promoting their video channels, attempting to create viral videos, and even using videos to get traffic from the search engines.