The companies are more focused about hiring honest employees because of the increased electronic data privacy in today’s work environment. The article seeks to investigate the needs of background verification and the strategies adopted by job seekers to go through this process. Read on to explore more!
More than 50% of the employers in India do some background search for new employees. The fact is that one in eight people has a criminal record. If you take into account all aspects of a background check, you will find that the number of requests related to misinformation has increased by 35-40%. Various private companies and investigators offer pre-employment background checks for companies in an effort to help better understand the past of an individual or help predict possible future behavior of a candidate.
Why is it necessary?
Many different people have many theories as to why a background check of any kind is considered necessary. One of the most basic reasons is just to verify information received on the application. Some people actually tend to lie on their resume or the application to increase chances chance of getting the position they desire.
In many cases, the primary function of background verifications is to ensure that the person will not be an immediate threat or a liability to the company. Nowadays, employers are more dedicated towards hiring responsible employees. The credit history of the employee is very important for the employer to decide that how responsible the candidate is towards his/her job.
What employers usually check?
While conducting the process of background verification, the employers mainly check your credibility, your criminal record, your past work as well as your driving record. You can get an idea of what the employers is thinking of checking by the time you finish filling an employment application form. If you are mentioning the contact details of your previous employer or your boss, keep in mind that you are permitting the potential employer to check your background. You are also allowing the current employer to give away the information about you. If you provide details of some of your references, remain assured that they will also be contacted in future.
Best strategies adopted by job seekers
The domain experts share their perspectives on the best strategies, which the job seekers can adopt to ease the process of background verification.
- Know your rights: It will be in the best of your interests if you are a knowledgeable candidate. You can go online and check what employers mainly look for and what are your rights associated with this matter!
- Ask for a credit report: Ask your future employer to provide you with a copy of your credit report, so that you can be assured of what the report suggests. If there are issues, make sure that you clear those beforehand.
- Go through the job application: Do not forget to read the application form carefully, so that you remain informed about the things that will be checked.
- Disclose after being asked: Depending upon your employment application, disclose the information only when asked. Do not show your proactiveness by telling everything without being asked, as this creates a very bad impression.
- Be honest: If your future employer asks you about your credits or criminal records, do not lie and better explain the situations. The employers always prefer honest employees to the liars.
Bear in mind that if you lie on your resume related to your whereabouts, there are chances that the employer may fire you in future. This course of action will not necessarily be based upon what they found, but it will be because you lied while applying!
The author is a professional writer who has written for a plethora of job related websites. She writes about the latest job industry trends and offers solution to all career related queries and dilemmas.